Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, July 20, 2009

World's Shortest, Most Sexist Fairy Tale

This bit of "humor" was passed on to my boss' in-box. He tends to get a lot of jokes that I don't find particularly amusing, so I've decided to improve them. The "joke" below is followed by my addition:
Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said, 'NO!' And the guy lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer and scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.
And so did the girl.

On a more serious note, I'm really sick and tired of people treating marriage like it's some sort of death sentence. Lots of studies show that loving couples live longer and are generally happier than people who haven't found their special someone. And the other theme of this particular punch line is, of course, that women are all ball-busting harridans whose only reason for existence is to make men's lives miserable because men are supposed to Have Fun and women are supposed to Be Responsible. Eff Tee Ess, you know?

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, you go, Rachel. If I'm a girl into Marvel Comics, especially if I'm not yet a teenager, I'm not going to be craving lipstick while my boy buddies get to dress in cool costumes.

0 comments: