Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Tetris Blogaround

I love the Google image today celebrating 25 years of time-wasting with this wonderful game:



Let's see how many links I can discuss before we have to leave:

• A nice trio of snarky feminist cultural posts from Heidi MacDonald about moving the bar, Melissa Silverstein directing us to an amusing Katie Couric speech at Princeton about being the first woman speaker at their Class Day, and Val D'Orazio parodying parity in book cover art. (The sad thing is, most of the women on those covers are also depicted as fairly objectified and in various stages of undress or being acted upon sexually.) Also, What Digby Said about bias: "Never once is it questioned whether it might be a problem that so many male judges might rule differently than a woman -- the assumption is that the male point of view is the impartial view, while the female view is biased. Why should it not be equally true that the female point of view is impartial while the male point of view is biased?" Lastly, Courtney at Feministing links to an open letter to Pixar requesting that they "remember the ladies" and consider casting female leads in their wonderful animations. That may only happen when there are more female lead animators employed at Pixar.

Julian Lennon links to the White Feather exhibition honoring his father.

• Lots of bloggers coming out to play again who haven't been around for awhile. For instance, Fafnir assures us he's still kicking. Also, I'm still quite impressed by President Obama's recent speech in Cairo, which I think hit all the right notes, and Al-Muhajabah returns with a guide to some of the Islamic references therein.

• My current TV-news-show habit is to DVR or try to watch Rachel Maddow daily, and catch Olbermann when I feel like it, which isn't that often. One of the reasons each can grate on me is their use of the MSNBC traveling troupe. I like some of the players, like Jonathan Turley, and I've finally stopped referring to the ex-Wonkette as "Anal Marie Cox" - but Rachel still has Mrs. Alan Greenspan subbing for her and allowed to talk about politics with no disclaimers when her husband's policies are partly to blame for our current economic mess, and Keith has sycophants like Richard Wolff, who was on the other night when they were discussing Obama and the Middle East and the Secretary of State. And foolish me, I thought the subject matter might be something of substance and interest like how the past few female Secretaries of State navigate their way through traditionally sexist societies, but instead it wound up being a glorified plug for Wolff's book. Susie captures beautifully the way I felt.

• See, here's the thing. I like the President, he's eloquent and smart and easy on the eyes (yeah, I peruse the White House Flickr photo stream way too often), but it was fairly clear from the start for those of us who went into this with open eyes that he was and is a centrist. Sometimes he leans right, sometimes he leans left. That's why I have little patience for lefty bloggers who are suddenly shocked that Obama's not stringently hewing to their (our) agenda. But Athenae says it better than I could.

• I liked this important post from Mary at Pacific Views linking to articles talking about interrogations that work (when torture obviously doesn't). This would seem self-evident if we weren't living in a topsy-turvy world.

• If you ever wonder whether FOX does certain visuals deliberately, I think this post from John Amato at Crooks & Liars says it all. Absolutely disgusting and horrific.

• On more or less the same subject, oddly, this is the most arresting and affecting essay I've ever read from Michael Davis. I'm still in shock over it. Michael is known for his clowning, but like many "always on" people he has hidden depths.

• The Rude Pundit presents compelling conjecture that Dr. Tiller's killer didn't act alone. And Roy Edroso responds brilliantly to a skewed analysis of the tragedy.

• Michael Bérubé has a wonderful essay about how every political argument that's So Last Century is new again, or at least recycled. I give it Five Appendectomy Scars!

• I was very moved by Stephen Herron's personal post concerning universal health care and some stark differences between the US and Canada.

• Eric Boehlert wants to find just one news source that actually provides the context for a quote that is reported time and again as being taken out of said context. Unreal. Also from Eric, apparently it's okay if you're a Republican. Eric's very quickly becoming my favorite media columnist, even if I'm nowhere near high enough on the radar to have made it into his book about bloggers.

• Terrific bit on "children's literature" from Lance Mannion. To answer his question, I tend to reread the Oz books over and over.

• Lastly, these gave me a giggle, particularly the second one:







I'm very psyched to see David Malki again today. Off to catch the bus into Manhattan!

0 comments: