Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Prisoner of Enthusiasm

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. The good news is, I'm "on call" today to do office work from my home computer, which connection Robin set up yesterday just for this occasion and which means I can now do all sorts of things that I wasn't able to do previously (like take care of emails my boss flagged for me which involve looking at websites my company blocks). The bad news is, I can't go anywhere for the six hours I'm on call, and there are roofers all over, um, our roof.

My fault, really. On Monday we had a bit of a leak in the living room, so I dutifully alerted the landlord, who sent the guys 'round later in the week when they'd finished their previous assignment, and they've been here on and off the past few days, working between rainstorms. Our landlord logically wants to retain his property value by making sure no leaks recur, and apparently the repairs to be done there are more extensive than previously assumed. Today is supposed to be fairly sunny, with only a 30% possibility of one of those southeast USA-type downpours this afternoon, so I expect the charming South Asian (Indian) gents will be at it until their 4 PM quitting time. I'll probably be wearing earplugs throughout my on-call time, or cranking the iTunes, and perhaps a blogaround will take my mind off something guaranteed to make me cringe (from years of living in noisy apartments), the feeling of having someone walking above me.

0 comments: