Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Magic!

Our great thanks to Mark Evanier, who treated us to a lovely lunch at The Magic Castle. Lots of terrific chit-chat and Mark took us on a tour of the place afterwards. Mandatory celeb-spotting as we were leaving included Jo Anne Worley and Penn & Teller. (I didn't see Worley but Mark did, and as we were outside waiting for the valets to bring our cars I heard her unmistakable voice from inside. And alas, I didn't hear Teller speak at all.) I couldn't help but wonder if Penn & Teller are at the Castle every Friday for lunch. Here's Mark and Robin in the parking lot; the Hallowe'en decor abounds both outside and in.



Our very enjoyable time was preceded by a nice phone conversation with Phil Proctor from The Firesign Theatre, whose fan newsletter I published on and off for a decade or so in the '80s and '90s. By the way, did I mention that Tom Gedwillo (my "predecessor" of sorts in Firesign fan publishing) is back with the Chromium Switch website and blog? Anyway, Phil's schedule just didn't mesh with ours this time around. And after lunch we had a drive all around Hollywood and Beverly Hills and Bel Air and Santa Monica and even a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway and Robin really enjoyed it, but it wore him out. So he's currently sleeping whilst I'm catching up on blog reading, and later on we get together for dinner with Mom and my youngest brother Jay, both of whom flew in today, and bro Gene and sis-in-law-to-be Bridgette. So expect a number of family photos once we return, mostly for other members of my family who read this.

0 comments: