Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, August 31, 2008

New Shoes Blogaround, Part 2

Not that I'm giving up Payless entirely, mind you. After all, Aravon shoes only seem to come in black, and I'm desperate for a pair of 9.5W brown flats that won't fall off when I put my orthotics in them. I wonder if these are too casual for the office...

• My favorite blog post about the Denver Democratic convention is probably from local gal Anne Zook. And I loved Bryant's observation that If Democrats will only Jump Thru these Hoops, Republicans will Provide More Hoops.

• If it's Sarah Palin vs. a polyp, I'm not sure which I'd choose. Seriously, while Digby notes that she has a good home-based rep, I don't agree with any of her stated opinions. Republicans should have been clued into the fact that we didn't all vote with our lady parts even in the primaries. On the other hand, Avedon collects a series of quotes from bloggers who remind us we shouldn't "misunderestimate" the results of this seemingly bizarre decision by McCain. It's sexism versus racism, 21st century style! Just like the primaries! Only this time the media pundit "kewl kids" will be calling critics on sexism instead of joining them. Oh, and Tigh/Roslin '08 is currently down, but here's the site's key photo, care of Newsarama, io9 (where I first saw it) and other places:



I don't watch Battlestar Galactica, but all you need to know is that the Roslin character usually wears glasses and looks a lot more like Sarah Palin than either Tina Fey or That Cinemax Librarian Character. Digby's worth following on Palin, of course, and Lance also has some good thoughts about this piece of stunt casting. Also, if you haven't yet read it, Lance has a nice post about religion and the public sphere which we may want to bear in mind given that even the Daily Show noted how many God-mentions there were at the Demo con.

• Dorothy Snarker's tribute to Rachel Maddow made me smile. I just hope Maddow hasn't already become too corrupted by the self-absorbed Beltway Village punditry that runs amok at MSNBC (and which claimed its latest would-be progressive victim, Keith Olbermann, sometime around the beginning of 2008), but I'm crossing my fingers and DVR'ing her show right alongside -- and after -- Countdown starting this coming Friday.

• As I alluded to on Friday, of major interest to liberal political bloggers is that Kevin Drum has moved from the Washington Monthly's Political Animal blog over to Calpundit Mother Jones. Steve Benen and Obsidian Wings' Hilary "Hilzoy" Bok (also an occasional Pen-Elayne commenter) have taken over. I'm delighted about this; I haven't read Steve before but I've already bookmarked two of his posts, on the faux-feminism of cynical Republicans and the actual feminism and courage of Hillary Clinton responding to McCain's ads quoting her out of context to smear Obama. I still can't comment on Political Animal, and Kevin never did figure out why, but I can always make comments to Hilzoy on ObWi and, fortunately, the Mother Jones blog has no such commenting problem -- and provides a full site feed to boot!

• Also, just a reminder that Roy Edroso is also blogging at the Village Voice, where he brings, us among other things, The Harrowing Adventures of President Obama; and that Melissa "Shakespeare's Sister" McEwan continues to shine at the Guardian -- two recent posts of hers that I liked speculated about how the upcoming GOP con is the beginning of the end for the nutbar wing of the party, and how suddenly magnanimous the press was to Hillary Clinton for a brief moment before business as usual slunk in again. (Eric Boehlert has some good thoughts about this as well.)

• Marisa Acocella Marchetto, the Cancer Vixen herself, has a great deal of empathy for Elizabeth Edwards' situation, and recounts the story of what happened when her husband was propositioned shortly after she was diagnosed.

• PZ Myers articulates his opinion on the "tribal custom" excuse for barbarism quite nicely indeed.

• RJ Eskow is collecting "McCain's Houses" jokes. So's Mark Kleiman.

• Congratulations and big hugs to Elaine at starting the newest phase of her life. And a very belated mazel tov to Rachel!

• This is very cool indeed; the NY Times profiled Noz' house. At least I think it's Noz' house, he could be joshing.

• Dover Bitch at Hullabaloo reminds us how, once again, Republicans are changing the meaning of words. C'est nes pas un blog post, she says!

• Susie Madrak's blog never fails to inspire me. She finds such great stories, and they're all worth reading! Check out her link posts about solar parking lots, the Heaven's Angels biker group that does pet rescue, Kids for Coltrane and the Wine Spectator hoax.

• Bryan provides us with YouTube links to some good ol' rabble-rousing protest music.

• Whew! Jenna Fischer is finally out of Rainn Wilson's car trunk!

Uh-oh, looks like there's going to be a Part 3 of this blogaround, I haven't quite finished reading News+Views Groups... Ah well, on to September!

0 comments: