Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Towel Day Blogaround

Happy Towel Day. I miss Douglas Adams. I'm going to miss Dick Martin as well; there's no question how much Laugh-In affected both my comedy and political consciousness.

• Speaking of politics, I haven't yet read the comments on my post yesterday discussing the reaction to Hillary Clinton's recent remarks referencing political touchstones that took place in June, in part because I think I'm going to use all of this as a jumping-point for my next ComicMix column. But I do want to link to other thoughtful posts on the subject by people not predisposed to hate Hillary no matter what she says, including Earl Ofari Hutchinson, Avedon Carol, Bryan, Turkana, Ann Bartow and especially Mustang Bobby and his observation that "All the over-the-top outrage does is prove that the more volcanic the reaction, the less the pundits, columnists, bloggers, and campaign officials really care about what she said. They'd much rather see if they can make their outrage the issue rather the actual incident itself." Exactly; it's like being back on Usenet, which is not how it should be in real life.

• Via Susie, I had no idea so many soldiers have tried to commit suicide, although the cover-up of that revelation doesn't surprise me. Just one more thing to mourn tomorrow.

• I found this very thoughtful piece by Athenae about risk aversion and sacrifice quite relevant to the day as well.

• Lighter fare now, thank goodness. Theresa got to see the International Space Station with the naked eye; cool. Keith reminded me of local music video channel U68, about which I'd almost completely forgotten. Athenae finds ceramic drunk chicken heads for your beer-can barbecue chicken. And Bora reveals the winner of this year's Eurovision song contest -- Russia, which YouTube video comes complete with a performance by Evgeni Plushenko that must be seen to be believed.

Back to the Mets game. They're losing, but hey, so were the Yankees and they managed to claw their way back to .500 ball...

0 comments: