Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, May 16, 2008

I Should Be Writing Blogaround

I've been so good about the job search lately, I'm usually done with my applications by 9 AM even on weeks (like this one) when phone calls happen not to come. But this stupid shoulder-area pain nonsense has really prevented me from either writing or blogging much, and even from sitting at my desk long enough to catch up. I can't help it, I'm a nine-fingered typist, and I just can't deal with my left hand invariably falling asleep after a half hour or so of sitting here. Well, at last I've managed to get caught up with my reading, so it's time to close some bookmarks!

• Belated congratulations to those whose milestones I've missed because of this stupid left hand problem: Melissa McEwan's birthday, Tom and Dori's anniversary, Liam Sharp's birthday (via Chris Weston), John and Bella's wedding day, Leigh Dragoon's birthday (via Theresa Tschetter's blog), Rook's blogiversary and Bora's birthday. Whew, I think that's everyone for the moment.

• I love the ovation that Ellen DeGeneris got upon announcing that she's getting married now that CA overturned the unconstitutional ban on two consenting adults wanting to legally express their love for one another:



John August has also announced he's getting married.

• Lots of folks are praising Marie Cocco's Washington Post column talking about the sexism she won't miss after the Democratic Presidential primary race ends, assuming Obama becomes the nominee. Like Barry and Ann, I'm not comfortable with the tactic of praising someone by knocking down someone else (or, as they call it, the Oppression Olympics). Zuzu notes that "You can't miss misogyny if it won't go away, and it won't go away just because Hillary Clinton drops out. It's always been there, it's always been acceptable. And it's crucial that we acknowledge that, if we have any hope of making it actually go away." [Too true, given horror stories like this one Kate relates about a fellow so-called stand-up comedian giving himself license to sexually assault an audience member onstage.] Zuzu's really been a great point-person for channeling my outrage on sexist double-standards lately. She's taken on one of my Top Six bloggers, Wil Wheaton, who ought to know better (Barry has more). She's called George McGovern on his bad form. And she's as sick as I am of all these early endorsements of foregone conclusion/presumptive candidates by people who can't wait three friggin' weeks. On related notes, I've dropped AmericaBlog from my blogroll now that John Aravosis has gone beyond the pale (good commentary from Melissa and Lance, and undoubtedly John will still expect everyone to support his worthy anti-homophobia campaigns but doesn't feel the inclination to support any anti-sexism ones). Robin and I both applauded this wonderful parody by Wolfrum. It's so, so worth reading this Eric Boehlert piece on how unprecedented it is for the press to pressure a leading presidential candidate to quit before the end of the primary season. Even Clinton's opponent has been engaging in sexist behavior (great post by Jesse); anyone who justly criticized Geoff Davis for his "boy" remark ought to be castigating Obama over "sweetie." And Melissa's up to part 92.

• Naturally, racism is also endemic in the '08 silly season, as evidenced by Huckabee's impromptu Obama "joke" to the NRA and the "Obama in '08" t-shirts featuring Curious George. Never mind that an online poll asks its readers if this is racist or okay and "okay" is winning, they never even asked the third question about trademark violation! Pam reports that trademark owners Houghton Mifflin Harcourt are not happy. And for everyone who feels like pointing out the many, many times our current pResident has been portrayed as a monkey -- historic context is everything. Oh, and Melissa's up to part 44 here. On a much more humorous note, David Rees has something to say about Reverend Wright, so everybody pay attention to him!

• Sweet Jesus, but it bothers me a lot how many liberal bloggers are praising Chris Matthews because of this:



Yes, Matthews displays an actual knowledge of history, at least enough to point out the difference between negotiation and appeasement (and I think it's great how many people are probably googling "Neville Chamberlain" now and finding out for themselves what really happened 70 years ago), but come on, folks. This is basic journalism and basic common sense. It saddens me that political punditry has fallen so far in this country that we're effusively praising someone for doing his job (kind of like we do with Sportscaster Olbermann a lot) when he really ought to be doing more than just the bare minimum, and certainly not backtracking every other day.

• Every now and then Arianna Huffington has a dynamite post on her own blog, like this one about the "bipartisanship" scam.

• No, we haven't seen Iron Man, although we'll probably get it when it comes out on DVD in a few months. Bully has a great review of it, but is pretty sure he saw the wrong film. Will Shetterly recommends the movie but hates its moral tone; and Patrick at Hathor loves what Paltrow has done with Pepper Potts. Amanda also takes a look at Pepper, who doesn't look anything like Stephen Fry. Oh, and I have no special desire to see Speed Racer either, but I enjoyed Lisa Katayama's nostalgic look at the original cartoon.

• Speaking of La Paltrow, she gets off the best line here, in response to something Mark Bittman says:



He's such a Bittman! You know what I found really disheartening, though? The way Gwyneth and Claudia Bassols act almost apologetic for liking food, where that's never ever an issue for Mario and Bittman. Nonetheless, I'm way looking forward to this show (video via Robyn at Serious Eats).

• While we're on the subject of food, Slashfood reports on the original Iron Chef returning to US TV, on the Fine Living Network -- yet another channel we don't get on Bronx Cablevision, surely the only cable system in the country that still doesn't include BBC America -- and on the buyout of Wrigley by the American branch of the Mars family.

• While Dykes To Watch Out For goes on hiatus (*snif*), Alison Bechdel swears she has other plans in the works for her DTWOF blog.

• What Digby Says about Republicans biding their time, about "minitruths," and about the silly season.

• It's so sadly true, many white people are total grammar pedants, present company included. I hang my head.

• Leigh Ann gives a thumbs-up to Richard Dawkins' book in, as ever, an amusing read.

• Lis Riba is convinced that Frank Miller has long since passed the point of self-parody.

• Melissa Silverstein has at Manohla Dargis' article on "post-female American cinema" and takes a good look at Sex & The City backlash.

• Cliff Meth wonders about some people's need to have ostentatious ceremony to mark what's supposed to be a culturally significant rite of passage. If you've got the money, why not use it to better other people's lives? Being Cliff, he puts it where his mouth is, and has helped broker a deal whereby Marvel Comics will do right by artist Gene Colan, currently suffering from liver failure. Speaking of the charitable impulse, Marie's in a quandary over how to help Burma (I still can't bring myself to call it Myanmar). And even though Donna has met her immediate goal, if you have some extra disposable income you might considering sending a little something her way.

• Bryan is correct, I have a bunch of those Lennon-Marx Abkhazian stamps left over from when I used to use them as fundraisers for my Firesign newsletter. And while we're on the subject, What Liz Said. Um, I mean, me too. My husband gives me full permission to trade up, provided he gets some good bootlegs out of it. Liz may live closer to the Hamptons, but hey, I've named my blog and my fictitious corporation Pen-Elayne, so that has to count for something. (Seriously, I'll settle for an executive assistant position at MPL if there's one available...)

• Except I don't think I could be a vegetarian, and people like PETA are a major reason why. See Vanessa's post here. Honestly people, You're Not Helping.

• A trio of good fat-positive posts helped me a lot: Lesley has an interesting conversational moment; Eve gets on her bike and rides; and Kate reminds us how it works and why we fight. Note to CNN: Catcalls are ALWAYS objectifying, and therefore NEVER complimentary.

• Ending with some bits and bobs: Mama Shakes speaks! Maru reminds us she's the original rude pundit. Jason finds amusement in Cthulhu's pickup truck. Kevin passes along a link to a new Milk & Cheese strip. (I love Milk & Cheese so much that 20+ years ago I whined at Evan until he did me a M&C cover for an issue of INSIDE JOKE.) David at BoingBoing informs us that we gals have our troubles (at least according to brain scans) when we have our orgasms. Anyone for science fiction/fantasy literature bingo? (Oh, and that mommy-had-plastic-surgery book is from a small-print vanity press, reminds TNH, so calm the eff down about it.) Enough people liked Roy's initial expose of right-wing bloggers that it's become a series in the Voice. And this post from Hilzoy made me cry, and smile, and cry all over again.

Alas, that took most of my afternoon and evening to complete, so I'm afraid my fiction writing will have to wait until I've rested my arm again.

0 comments: