Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, March 31, 2008

Opening Day Blogaround

A very sleepy opening day for me, as the Yankees-Blue Jays game here in the Bronx was rained out. It never rained all that hard, but it nonetheless made for somnambulent conditions and I guess ESPN got bored or something. Me, I'm never bored with blogs to read!:

• Last Friday was Blog Against Torture Day, which made me say "What th'?" I mean, is there any normal person out there who's pro-torture? Like Lis says, "As far as I'm concerned, this is a matter about which there shouldn't be sides. What's next, Blog Against Genocide?"

• Melissa at Shakespeare's Sister, eriposte at Left Coaster, Susie at Suburban Guerilla and Zuzu at Feministe continue to be among the saner voices out there speaking out against Democrats who engage in Clinton-bashing way disproportionate to her campaign missteps and certainly to her policy proposals. Melissa addresses the bullying backlash. Susie was one of the participants at the Cool Kids Con in Philly this past weekend, and posts about conversations she had with Paul Krugman and Eric Boehlert about bloggers' reactions when they note complimentary things about Clinton (as Krugman does here). The second of these posts is extremely telling, as Susie mentions the reaction the Eschacon crowd gave Boehlert's disappointment over their cult-of-personality antics. Zuzu reminds us why it's important to always call out misogyny. And eriposte reveals something I hadn't even considered about Clinton's recent meeting with the odious Richard M. Scaife, something that I think shows her diplomatic prowess in a very positive light.

• Jackson Williams at HuffPo sort of congratulates Keith Olbermann on five years of Countdown, and probably gives Keith more credit than is due over his treatment of the Democratic presidentical candidates. Today's Countdown Watch yielded 15 unwatchable minutes of Hillary-bashing at the opening, then a half hour of news and opinion like he used to do, then 15 minutes of self congratulations which included making fun of Fox News because someone noted they were the fairest network vis a vis Clinton and Obama, in that they treated both with equal contempt but didn't single out Clinton with misogyny. He did this all with absolutely no trace of irony or self-awareness. I can't say how much I miss the old Keith Olbermann. Maybe we'll get him back after the Democratic contest is finally decided.

• Elsewhere, Susie asks the same question about Mrs. Alan Greenspan that I've been asking for at least a dozen years; and Digby despairs of the on-bended-knee reaction of our press corpse to "Saint" John McCain. But there's good news -- if you include non-news media, Lance figures that the media really is liberal and reflects the ideas of a liberal populace. I totally agree, it's one of the reasons the news corpse tries so hard to repeatedly convince us reality isn't real. Who are we going to believe, them or our lying eyes?

• Mark Evanier notes that Pat Paulson is running for President again, from the grave.

I Can Has Jones Soda? And speaking of LOLstuff, Lara from the I Can Has TARDIS crew does a very weird Beatles-themed mashup.

This post from Ampersand was one of the inspirations for my ComicMix column this week.

• Run, it's Evil Bully (to be continued)!

• Was it Keith telling us John Mayer was the worst announcer ever that made John do this heart-to-heart confessional on his blog?

• Did I need io9 to remind me of my love-hate relationship with Sid and Marty Krofft? I don't think so.

Shut up, PZ.

• Kevin Drum notes the new tradition of making your ten thousandth post about your cat. I'll try to remember that in a half dozen years or so.

• Via Laura, Greg Hatcher illustrates precisely my feelings about "dark Oz" books. Also from Laura, be careful, tomorrow's April Fool's Day and it behooves you to read the internet with an extremely jaundiced perspective.

• An ode to Alfred Pennyworth, by Val D'Orazio.

What Kalinara said. Parents and teachers should be thrilled when kids read, and most of today's comics aren't as dumbed-down as they may think.

• You know, I like Flea a lot, I just don't know if I care for her as a race.

Whew, made it in before April Fool's Day! G'night, all.

0 comments: