Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, March 07, 2008

Lost and Found Blogaround

Wow, I just found this old blogaround that I wound up never posting. I blame the weird 15-minute snowstorm early on the afternoon of March 1, heavy-looking flakes being blown around by high winds, which disappeared as quickly as it had arrived leaving bright sunshine now with no trace there had ever been any precip. We took advantage of that to toss most of our remaining trash, and I finally unpacked and started it. When we checked the mail after doing the trash run, I was delighted to find my new passport therein. Our original marriage certificate followed a couple days later, so that was a relief. I'd mailed out the application on February 16, and it was all processed ten days later, not to expire now until 2/16/18. It was the last thing I needed to "Riggsify" as the old one had my former surname of Wechsler-Chaput on it, so every time I used it I had to tell the passport person "Look at page 23" for the added note when the surnames on the passport and airline ticket didn't match. Add to that all the interviews this past week and at least one on Monday, I feel like March has begun with a lot of forward movement and promise. This is the month when I'll get a new job! So here's the lost blogaround from a few days ago, to be followed by another one when I'm done with today's reading:

• The big story on a couple foodie blogs is the scandal of celeb chef Robert Irvine. Amy Sherman at Epicurious posted a link to this fascinating article in the St. Petersburg Times about how Irvine's consistently misrepresented himself and his credentials to both employers and financial colleagues. It's one of those articles that gets better and more outrageous as it goes along. My jaw was really dropping by the end of it. Doesn't Food Network have anyone vetting its "star" chefs? Apparently not; as Marisa McClellan on Slashfood reports, Food Network has now fired Irvine. Couldn't happen to a sleazier guy. Makes those of us who don't pad our resumes look bad.

• Speaking of lying, Zed gives a great example of a circumstance wherein lying has definite positive effects. It's one of those things where you go "of course, that's a brilliant way to teach, why don't more people think of it?"

• And speaking of food, I wish I lived near Neil Gaiman so I could have some honey. Actually, considering where he lives, I amend that to "I wish he lived near us."

• Victoria has pretty much had it with biased reporting. I know to an extent everyone has a bias, but why does it always seem to manifest as either bashing or adulation instead of something that's a little less personal? As Susie rhetorically asks, "Must everything to do with the press corps be reduced to junior-high rules?" Yes. This has been today's edition of Simple Answers to Cogent Questions.

• It's Estrogen Month again, and Diane asks, Who's your favorite female blogger? A great question, I want to swipe it and ask it too! Leave your fave estroblogger names and links in the comments. Present company excepted, of course. :) Also remember to check out all the great women bloggers listed on my blogroll, as well as on the sidebar where it says "Where are all the women bloggers who aren't on the blogroll below? Many are here!" That leads to my Bloglines subscriptions, which contain two humongous "Where the Women Bloggers Are" sections. In fact, in honor of Estrogen Month I've once again moved those sections toward the top of my subscription list, right below my Top Six.

• JC Christian hoists Tim Russert's guilt by association game by its own petard.

• Lastly, at Shakespeare's Sister, Kenny Blogginz reveals his newest interview round about Will Ferrell's new movie. Considering Demitri Martin, whom I now think of as "the poor person's Kenny Blogginz," is one of Ferrell's concert-tour buddies, I found this highly appropriate.

Put to bed, and finally posted! Onward.

0 comments: