Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Come Saturday Morning Blogaround

Wow, cleaning out my individual News+Views blog sections really helped me speed through my reading yesterday, despite what appears to be blossoming into a full-blown cold. And we're going to see Mustang Bobby's play tonight, too, thereby almost guaranteeing we'll pick up something even worse from our sojourn into Manhattan. Still, between streamlining my blog reading and the kitchen (clearing the hutch in preparation for the AeroGarden setup, rearranging our countertop and putting various substances in containers) I can actually fool myself into believing my life has a bit of forward movement despite not yet being hired. Here's some more forward movement to close open bookmarks:

Mazel tov to Rachel on becoming pregnant -- with twins, yet! And Jamal reports that Karine is 28 weeks along; he doesn't need to report how aglow she is, you can plainly see that.

• While MLK Day has passed, I couldn't resist passing along this lovely bit from Fake Steve Jobs. Meanwhile, the next big celebration coming up is Mardi Gras (on February 5, the same day as Super Duper Pooper-Scooper Tuesday), and Harry Shearer talks about how his New Orleans neighborhood is preparing.

• Bibi has gathered together all kinds of links to fairy tales online; this one's become a permanent bookmark for me! However, I read the first Jewish fairy tale on the site to which she links, and can I say Jews just don't really get the hang of fairy tales? Folk tales, fine, I love me some Sholom Aleichem, but fairy tales, not so much.

• I'm so totally jealous of Laura that Ken Jennings reads her blog. Love the new Torvald photo!

• Some nice thoughtful essays about death in comic books, by Mike Netzer (who as you may know is spearheading a campaign not to have DC kill off the Martian Manhunter as per a current rumor) and Val D'Orazio. I'll probably throw my two cents in for my next ComicMix column. Meanwhile, Lis Riba tackles the item that's incensed comic book readers from the other Big Two company, suggesting that "Instead of turning the clock back and regressing the characters so they can return to a vision of bachelorhood which will appeal to the boys, comics should take a lesson or two from women-oriented media like soap operas." It is kinda weird that the only two character options for many (mostly male) comic book writers seem to be regression or death. Can these guys not conceive of telling interesting stories featuring characters who mature gracefully?

• Lastly, Beta Candy at Hathor sings the praises of The Vicar of Dibley. To which I add a resounding, "no no no no no... YES!"

Ick. Back to bed now, methinks...

0 comments: