Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, January 04, 2008

Back on the Hunt

Sorry I haven't posted today until now, but it's been, as expected, a strange day. At my former coworker's request, I went into the old office this morning to make sure the other former coworker had done all the monthly billing correctly (as the new clerical person isn't due to start until Monday), which he pretty much had, so I guess that speaks well to my training abilities. When I arrived my old desk looked like a tornado had hit it; within about 15 minutes it and the surrounding area were as pristine as when I worked there. I really hate disorganization!

Got home about 1:15, just long enough to relax and have some lunch and change for my job interview. It took me about an hour and a half to get to the City Hall area, during which my toe started hurting more and more. By the time I got off the subway I could hardly walk. The interview only lasted about 10 minutes, being an initial screening, and I managed to hobble to the express bus stop, as there was no way I could manage stairs in my condition.

Then things started looking up quickly. My toe still hurt like a mofo, but my wait for the bus was only about 5 minutes, it was the first of the day (that line only runs during rush hours), and I got to view the length of Manhattan from the WTC site on up to 125th Street during a really magical time of the day and, in fact, the year. Lots of places still had their holiday lights up; particularly exquisite was the Villard Houses building on Madison. It was a great reminder of why (when I can walk properly again) I really want to return to working in the City! And I had to smile when we passed the House That Steroids Built and the sign read "Only 41 Days Until Pitchers & Catchers" report for spring training.

Robin was there to greet me at the bus terminus and support me for the half-block back to the house, where I immediately removed my shoe, sock, and bandage. That last seemed to do the trick; the second it came off and I looked at the unusually-thin big toe, I realized I'd wrapped the bandage way too tightly this morning. (That also explains why the pain didn't seem to start until the afternoon; the compression took time to escalate into agony.) So there, for everyone who says I'm not wrapped too tightly!

Silly Site and Friday Cat Blogging coming later, probably after dinner and Olbermann. But first, I need to soak my aching tootsie again...

0 comments: