Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Baseball Bitching

Because if you can't do it during the World Series, you have to wait a whole 'nother year.

Rudy "9-11, 9-11, *sqwawk* Polly want a 9-11" Guiliani is getting a lot of flak for something as stupid as the Obama lapel pin/hand over heart/stupid-symbolic-instead-of-actual-patriotism "controversies." Apparently His Dishonor, a Yankee fan to the point of embarrassment, is rooting for the Red Sox in the series, on the theory that he's a fan of the American League and he'd rather see any AL team win, even the Yankees' longest-standing rivals, than have an NL team triumph. The most ridiculous aspect of this that it makes perfect sense to lots of baseball fans. I tend to be more of a National League fan, myself, but I'm also a local baseball fan, and I'm also a good baseball fan, so I have no real emotional investment in a particular team this Series except I'd like to see the Rockies win 'cause I think they're underdogs (which I also root for) and, besides, humidor.

Okay, the other thing frustrating me a bit was the Torre pay cut stuff, as I can't get that upset about someone who's made $6.7 million in 2004 and 2005 and $7.5 mil in 2006 "only" being offered $5 mil plus incentives at contract renewal time. This NY Times article crunches the numbers very interestingly, and I have to wonder if part of the problem might be that Torre's go-between went through a "D.U.I. arrest and subsequent divorce from Jennifer Steinbrenner." Just sayin'.

0 comments: