Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sick of Ice Day

I had a very harrowing drive home yesterday afternoon via amazingly unmaintained interstates (I mean, you don't salt I-95? What's up with that?) that were probably still better going than the smaller highways. As it turns out I arrived home just in time, as about an hour later a FedEx truck got stuck trying to exit our U-shaped driveway and eventually had to be towed back onto the street. An unsettled evening followed, and I decided my nerves couldn't take another risky commute this morning even if I could have gotten out of the driveway; Lillian decided to carpool with someone else so I couldn't swing 'round the empty spot where her car would have been, and the basement neighbor parked along the fence directly in back of my car, and there's no maneuverability on the ice that remains even though the plow apparently came through last night and skimmed off some of it. Besides which, I've been in the "reading room" about a half dozen times so far. So it's a rare 75%-of-pay sick day for me, trying to finish my blogroll catch-up and glean stories for ComicMix (my first column is in the queue to post but hasn't done so yet; I'm curious to see what magic Glenn's done with the photos I've sent him) and mostly do data-entry stuff for my paying job, when I'm not running back and forth to the porcelain throne. Oh yeah, and I'm Spartacus too,



but you knew that because I've already mentioned how I feel about Melissa.

0 comments: