Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sometimes You Need to Go Out of Your Way

That's all I'm saying. Some things are worth going out of your way for. Like one's first purchase of blood oranges and Meyer lemons:



I'd been hearing about these exotic fruits for awhile during my foodie "travels" (okay, mostly from watching Iron Chef America) and getting ever more curious, but none of the fruit and veg places I normally haunt had 'em, and there isn't a Whole Foods Market near me at the moment. So I had to wait for an excuse to visit Manhattan, specifically Monster Sushi (our favorite haunt when I worked in midtown and we wanted to celebrate Robin finishing an issue of work), as I figured Garden of Eden right next door would have these babies in stock. And sure enough they did. The oranges taste mild and quite sweet but like nothing specific on which I can put my finger. The lemons taste sweeter than ordinary ones, definitely juicier, and quite mellow (it nicely soothed my stomach, which had gotten rattled about a bit during the bus ride home). I'm looking forward to having slices in my morning tea.

The reason we found ourselves in Manhattan was to have dinner and get caught up with Heidi, whom I hadn't seen in way too long. And tomorrow we're venturing into my old stomping grounds in the wilds of Brooklyn to pay a call on my friend Jan. My friendships with these two women go back at least 15 years, but I don't see them nearly as often as I ought to. And they're both well worth going out of my way for on a cold January weekend.

0 comments: