Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cleaning Out the In-Box and Bookmarks

Because you just have to sometimes. First the email clearing:

• David Chin writes to inform me that A Picture's Worth has relaunched for 2007. By the way, it has an RSS feed as well for folks who like to read stuff that way (like me).

• Stuff going on in NYC boroughs that I can't attend as long as I'm working in Westchester includes Up, Up, and Away: Interpreted Comics and Graphic Novels, an exhibition of three comic inspired artists (Kyle Baker, Jonn Alex Gonzalez and Joshua Peters), which opens at the Danny Simmons Corridor Gallery in Brooklyn this Sunday, January 14 and remains on view until February 10 (alas, typical mainstream coverage always seems to have a "Pow!" in the header); and, on January 16 and 18, Charlie Anders and Annaee Newitz will be doing a couple readings to promote their new book She's Such A Geek: Women Talk About Science, Technology & Other Nerdy Stuff. More info at their blog.

Now for some of the open bookmarks:

• Of course, Michael Bérubé's departure from the blogosphere will leave a little scar on my heart:


the infamous Bérubé appendix scar photo

But it reminded me that I need to work on updating my sidebar blogroll, having now given what I think is a reasonable amount of time after the last general election to see if other bloggers have returned from their hiatuses (hiati? hiatim?). I've created a new category at the bottom of my Bloglines subscriptions for these absent friends, so if they return and their feeds work properly I can reinstate them on the blogroll proper.

• And speaking of feeds, Marv Wolfman's now works, as he's moved his Today's Views blog from Dreamweaver to Blogger. Anyway, thanks so much, Marv (and Laura, I suspect), I can now remove that "site feed wonky" asterisk from your name when I update the sidebar blogroll. (And if I may just say, it does my ego a world of good to be called "wonderful" by Len Wein and "wondrous" by Marv Wolfman in the space of a week...)

• With my current responsibilities I don't have time to check out every link from When Fangirls Attack (it's hard enough keeping up with my current 800+ blog subs), but until those circumstances change (as I hope they will shortly) I can be grateful Lisa Fortuner points out posts I find so fascinating that I get caught up in new blogs like Adventures in Lame; so far I've bookmarked three posts Reb wrote during the last month to read later during my "copious leisure time."

• Condolences to Valerie on the loss of her kitty Buffy. I know Datsa and occasionally Amy have been frustrating the heck out of us lately with their early-morning wake-up meows, but I'm so grateful they're around and healthy!

• Marie Javins defines (and defies) the differences between being a traveler and a tourist.

• Congratulations to Chris Weston on becoming a father for the third time! Mother and baby are doing just fine.

• The Stupid Analogy of the Day award goes to Ken Levine for "Just think, if the Rock n’ Roll Hall-of-Fame had a drug restriction its only members would be Debby Boone and the Singing Nun." Because, you know, recreational drugs somehow give you a performance advantage in rock and roll, and mean you're cheating when you play guitar against... oh sorry, you're not competing when you play music. I like the guy's TV writing, but geez.

• Cool interview with Stephen Merchant at Quick Stop!

• You can prepare for tonight's propaganda speech by readying yourself for a drinking game a la Rachel Maddow. Or just don't watch, which is pretty much my plan.

• Today's sermons are brought to you by Will Shetterly, on Zoroastrianism, and Steve Gerber, on putting aspects of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic G-d in DC comics.

Lastly, Newsarama has a nice interview up with Manhunter writer Mark Andreyko about upcoming issues, including "#28 - with absolutely jaw-dropping art on that sequence by the under-rated Brad Walker - and a shout out to Robin Riggs for some glorious inks." Thanks Mark! I thought they were glorious too; I'm really digging how exciting Rob's inks look over Brad's pencils and I hope they get to work together again after this.

0 comments: