Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Blogosphere Blackface

Um, Billmon? I don't think it's an either/or. You can fight against racism in real life and decry it online as well, in the same way - as a lot of feminist comics readers have pointed out repeatedly - condemning sexism in various forms of entertainment doesn't mean you aren't also working against sexism in everyday life. My general rule is, if you Photoshop blackface or a burqa or whatever and people on "your side" protest, if your initial reaction to that protest is to be knee-jerk defensive about it instead of apologizing and/or explaining your reasoning, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Update: MB has added to her original post addressing Billmon, and Mr. "Should I Use Blackface On My Blog?" himself, Gary/E. Bog Johnson, weighs in as well, as Sunrunner informs us in his comment attached to this very thread - both have now been added to my regular reading list...

0 comments: