Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Workarounds

When someone is angry at me, and they know that giving me the silent (or curt) treatment is guaranteed to push my buttons because I'll inevitably ask "what's wrong?" which will then give them carte blanche to haul off at me verbally and make everything worse-- if I resist the impulse to smooth over that person's perceived problem with me by confronting them, and instead pretend that I don't even notice anything's amiss with their behavior, the situation may work itself out after all and their anger will disappear and I won't have had to put myself through any tsuris. It just involves a little bit of patience on my part. It took me over four decades to learn this valuable lesson, which didn't sink in until this very afternoon.

0 comments: