Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Two Questions

Looking through left-leaning blogs lately, I'm confused by two topics.

The first is Fox reporter Steve Centanni and his cameraman Olaf Wiig, whose kidnapping in Gaza by Palestinians the middle of last month elicited nary a peep from most liberal blogs. I figured it was because most of us, as Barbara O'Brien notes, "had nothing original to say beyond “gee, I hope they get home OK.”" That was certainly the case with me, and I don't think I've ever blogged about the subject no matter who the victim. On the other hand, coverage of Jill Carroll's abduction was almost constant in most of the political blogs I read, so why the double standard? And when the men were freed, very few lib-bloggers seemed to chronicle their relief; I first learned about it from Colleen's blog, which referenced Michelle Malkin! So when does left blogtopia (y!sctp!) suddenly start to chatter endlessly about Centanni and Wiig? Only once the radical reactionary blogs decide to pillory the newsmen's decision to save their lives by participating in a conversion ceremony. And then the subject isn't really their supposed conversion or their harrowing ordeal but what the radical reactionary blogs are saying about them! This type of blogging makes absolutely no sense to me. It's reactive, it's mean-spirited, it's boring (I get enough radical reactionary thought from mainstream media, I don't read radical reactionary blogs - for the record, I've never even heard of Lee Siegel - and have no interest in what they have to say), and it detracts from the main point which ought to be thank goodness that these guys are safe, no matter what news station they work for! Can't my fellow libs and lefties refrain just once from pointing fingers at the "other side" and completely ignoring the real story? Why do we give a damn what stupid thing bloggers we don't like are saying now?

The second subject is Karl Rove, someone I don't care to think about in the best of times. Seems a new book about Rove, called The Architect, is coming out from the guy who wrote Bush's Brain, in which it's to be revealed that Rove's stepfather was gay. And I'm like, how is this really relevant to anything? Who knows, maybe the reason Turdblossom gay-baits is that he hated his stepfather, and it's not a hypocrisy thing at all. In any case, it's more salacious and prurient than revealing or newsworthy, and I think we have enough actual present-day horrors to chronicle and try to mitigate to make this a better world that we don't have to go reaching into a murky man's murky past for a little sensationalistic site-boosting.

Not that I have an opinion or anything.

0 comments: