Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Good Reading from the Past Week

I can appreciate Bloglines wanting to streamline things by refreshing my feed tree more often, but freezing Explorer every time it refreshes (and that takes a good 10 seconds at least) doesn't really accomplish that. I had to switch to Firefox (yes yes, I know it's better in lots of ways but I still prefer IE for other things) in order to review the posts I'd meant to mention this past week but never got around to:

• Wil Wheaton has a date with his wife.

• Some great "mommy blogging" from Kath David on Caroline's "all by self" progress and Lauren on Ethan at seven.

• Avedon points out that "absentee ballots don't always seem to get counted if someone decides that counting them wouldn't affect the outcome from the on-the-day ballot results." In other words, if they don't feel like it. But then, considering the events of this week y'all aren't surprised to know we're becoming less and less of a democracy with each passing year day of this administration.

• Bill Shermanreviews the comic book Fat Free. I'm glad Mary Wilshire has work, but this book sounds like a fat acceptance advocate's nightmare. Just what we need, a self-hating, overeating fat protagonist who refers to herself as an "obese invalid." About as disappointing as, say, the trailers for the new Eddie Murphy movie (about which I'm considering writing for the fifth Big Fat Carnival.

• Speaking of self-image, Sigel Phoenix at Shrub.com didn't want to be a white girl growing up, she "just wished I was exactly like a white girl" rather than the stereotype of the "Oriental" beauty which is just as false to her. She wants to start a conversation on body image, on "what kind of messed up things society tells you about being female (or not) and having a body, because for some reason those things aren’t good enough on their own, even though they should be."

• MB wants to converse about why most people won't acknowledge how "the use of the R-word is as oppressive and derogatory as the N-word," and go right on doing the tomahawk chop (which makes me cringe every single time I watch an Atlanta baseball game) or support retention of the Washington football team's current name. And hubby Eric discusses something that really oughtn't be over my head considering I majored in linguistics back in college, Native American glyphs.

• I never had the pleasure to meet or even read anything by the late Mike Ford. In fact, I never heard of the man until he passed away. But he was a friend to lots of folks on my blogroll, who have been doing various tributes. Among the best (and longest) are Jim MacDonald's compilations of Ford's occasional writings at Making Light, here and here.

• Brian McFadden thinks people who want to stop buying Citgo due to Chavez' UN hyperbole have chosen to support the Saudis instead, which is probably worse. I thought Chavez' remarks about Bush were unfortunate and lacking in imagination, but they don't suddenly negate the good things he's done for Venezuela and for needy folks in this country.

• Tekanji has a terrific three part analysis of sexist language and attitudes found in Wizard magazine's "How to Draw" series. Here's part one, part two and part three.

• Lastly, if you haven't yet read Amanda's essay on red herrings, now might be a great time to do so.

My Liberal Coalition post review will, of course, be tomorrow. I'm sure there's lots more good stuff out there, but Bloglines tells me I currently have 290 unread posts from News+Views Gals, 725 from da Guys, and 650 from Da Groups, so it's time to catch up!

0 comments: