Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Action Items and Other Links

Lots of stuff to get to from this past week, so bear with me!

David at Barista talks about Holocaust survivor and artist Dina Babbitt, née Dina Gottliebova, who has been campaigning for three decades to have her concentration camp-created artwork returned from the Auschwitz museum, which acquired the pieces in 1963 from another survivor, acknowledges her copyright (her signature's right on them), asks her permission for reproduction, but won't give them back. Rafael Medoff, Director of the David S. Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies, is spearheading renewed efforts to help Mrs. Babbitt. Joe Kubert is circulating a petition to the museum signed by himself and a number of fellow comic book artists; if you're an artist interested in adding your name to this petition, please contact Dr. Medoff.

• The next Friends of Lulu antho will be called The Girls' Guide to Guys' Stuff. Katie Merritt writes on the Lulu message board that they're still looking for artists and writers. Interested women should contact MK Reed. Not sure if I'm going to participate in this antho the way I did with the other two, but one never knows what's around the corner. More on Heidi's blog. Meanwhile, Lis Riba wants to turn a negative event into a positive opportunity, and is soliciting ideas on promoting women's participation in fandom.

• Karen Healey hits another one out of the park with her essay on Sooraya Qadir's skin-tight niqab (mistakenly referred to as a "burqa"); file under "unclear on the concept." I'm not sure whether to put the primary blame for this on the X-office or the succession of pencillers.

• With Labor Day coming up, it seems appropriate to be aware of the current state of the American worker. Barbara Ehrenreich has an interview up about that subject, and Avedon points to Harold Meyerson's op-ed column about the Great Compression turning into the Great Upward Distribution (i.e., the second Gilded Age when the well-off get richer, the poor get vastly poorer, and the middle class all but vanishes), which in turn references a NY Times report about how actual wages don't quite match up to "productivity" gains.

• John Aravosis is one of many people who doesn't need a friggin' 9-11 ad campaign. I'm another. I mean, just the thought of some government genius creating an ad campaign about a national tragedy like it's some kind of product to be sold boils my blood. But then, that's exactly how the Bush administration has treated it, isn't it?

• I have no business checking in on my Guys in Waiting section when I can't even get through my regular blogroll, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have seen Jim Henley's perfect mnemonic for our new Pluto-less solar system. Likewise, I have no business adding guys to that section, but Pam and others have had such positive things to say about Jon Swift that he's now tops on my must-check-out list.

• As fleme821 on Blondesense says, it's Star Trek meets Monty Python. And it's very funny.

• Documenting the hilarity: Siva reports on the latest Yes Men hoax, designed to point out exactly how criminal the government's neglect of New Orleans is, and how solvable it could be in a more ideal world. And I sincerely hope that the folks complaining to the FCC about Bush's public swearing (via Susie) are just taking the piss...

Gah, I have more open links to point to but I should quit here or I'll never get this posted!

0 comments: