Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, July 17, 2006

Guy Talk

No, not the expletive-laden revelations of a non-nuanced mind, that's obviously for diplomats on a world stage. I'm talking about what the News+Views Guys on my blogroll are saying, now that I've again caught up with that mysterious network of tubes:

• On Alas, A Blog (I'm psyched for next week's NYC gathering!), Tekanji examines the recent comments by Marvel editor in chief Joe Quesada about employing more women in comics. I do agree with her that "maintaining the boys' club" is partly a function of assuming a level playing field exists when all evidence points to the opposite, but as someone who hasn't gotten off her ass and written a comic book story in about a decade I know my inaction is adding to the dearth, not relieving it.

• Still, I'll take the compliments where I can, and Chris Clarke said such nice thinsg about me I'm all a'blush. As I said to Chris in the comments to his post, his brilliance at parodying The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock was never in doubt, and I'm a big fan of that sort of thing. It's just that it wasn't very accessible to anyone who doesn't follow the right-wing blogosphere, and there are so many good writers on the liberal end I honestly haven't either the time nor the inclination to check out the "other side." (Besides, one can hear their viewpoints on pretty much every major mainstream news outlet; our views are the ones that seem to be constantly shut out or marginalized.)

• However, if you must hyper-analyze the right-wing blogosphere to death, you could do far worse than to read Glenn Greenwald's challenge to mainstream journalists and David Niewert's follow-up to that about the radical right's tendency toward extreme projection. As I said last week, these people are almost always guilty of whatever they’re loudly accusing their opponents of doing.

Chris Albritton and Stuart Hughes, probably the two best journalist bloggers around, are doing a fine job reporting from Beirut.

• Hugo reminds us that Biblical "modesty" has more to do with not flashing your bling than with covering up naughty bits.

That's how I always understood that part of the Biblical tale of Esther, which of course I'll get to in That Comic Book Story that I still haven't written after ten years...

0 comments: