Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Social Notes and Blogger Meetups

Still no nibbles from any prospective employers in New York City, so my social life remains curtailed. It's probably just as well - I generally shy away from being outside nowadays, as I attempt to hermitically-seal myself in during the four seasons of winter hibernation, allergies, air conditioning, and more allergies. The next few days are slated to be AC weather, so I'll probably miss the special Drinking Liberally event tomorrow evening in Manhattan featuring Glenn Greenwald (I somehow doubt Glenn will be coming up to the West Bronx DL any time soon - heck, I haven't even made it to my neighborhood DL yet!), as I can't justify schlepping back home from work then into the city on weeknights, and I'm not going to leave my car in New Rochelle for the entire evening. And the heat and lack of funds will keep me away from the Clearwater festival this weekend (wow, $45 a person!), which is disappointing because I'll be missing the real Seeger Sessions on Saturday, but at least I can listen to the radio broadcast.

On the other hand, an inexpensive weekend evening in Manhattan is eminently doable, and ever since we failed to hook up in England with Cruella aka Kate Smurthwaite I've felt a twinge of regret. So imagine my delight when Kate wrote to tell me she'll be doing her one-woman comedy show Adrenaline this Sunday, June 18 at Rififi in the East Village. A bit of a pain for me to get to, involving a bus, at least two subways and probably my walking stick, but it's only $5 and I thought it might be a good excuse for a blogger dinner afterwards, as the East Village (at least as I recall it from the 14 years I worked there) has lots of good inexpensive restaurants. I mentioned to Kate that Sunday is Father's Day, and she responded "tell folks to bring their dads along. i'll be busy advertising, etc before the show but planning on staying either in the place itself or very nearby afterwards. i will of course have a hefty props bag in tow and possibly a few other mates i have in NY but would be great to meet some bloggers and fantastic to have people along to the show." Please consider taking in what sounds like a terrific comedy show and meeting one of the best feminist bloggers around!

0 comments: