Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Liberal Coalition Top Ten
Week of 5/28 thru 6/3/06

A couple things to note among my fellow Liberal Coalition members first, followed of course by a short compilation of posts that caught my eye from this past week:

• A happy belated birthday to Norbizness' dad (love the pictures) and happy belated ninth wedding anniversary to upyernoz and mrs. noz! And a get-well-soon to Horatio at Dodecahedron, who's broken his arm and his toes in separate incidents.

• Bora/Coturnix of Science and Politics was in NYC last week - bummer! I would have liked to have met him, but of course I get into Manhattan so rarely nowadays, even though I technically live in NYC. Anyway, here's part one of his 3-part travelogue.

• Echidne of the Snakes talks about women's language (I've got to pick up the sf book she mentions, I've never heard of it but it definitely seems like my kinda thing), reports some news on women and drinking and heart disease (I dunno, my cardio folks all tell me to stay away from alcohol with my condition so I'm not sure what to believe now) and looks at mainstream media coverage of powerful female Democrats.

• Guy at Rook's Rant doesn't understand why the Catholic Church doesn't have enough faith in their flock's ability to know the difference between gospel and fiction. Hmm, could it be that they both read much the same?

• John at archy reports on the Justice Department's latest useless fishing expedition designed to keep the citizenry constantly afraid.

• Jude at Iddybud has a nice pictorial taken at A Taste of Syracuse and a good roundup of local politics.

• Kathy at Liberty Street marks the day after Memorial Day by reproing a JFK commencement speech given at American University in 1963.

• Leah at Corrente does not trust (or apparently like) Frank Rich. Here's part one and part two of her fisking of Rich's endorsement of Al Gore. To tell you the truth, I tend to agree with Rich more than with Leah, so I have no problem viewing him as a liberal and her as, well, perhaps a bit of a nitpicker, looking to rip apart semantic disagreements rather than examine actual policy disagreements which Rich would actually have with her. And Rich isn't the only one who's surmised there's a dearth of exciting and inspiring Democratic presidential candidates, I've seen that conclusion on tons of liberal blogs as well. Lastly, Leah says what whenever a blogger pays too much attention to pundits that only bloggers seem to read, "inevitably a number of commentators question why any of us bother to pay attention to these media absurdities. Why not just ignore them? The short answer: Because they and their ilk rule our discourse, politically, surely, and even, in many ways, culturally." I think this is a circular argument -"we talk about pundits because they give us something to talk about." Not terribly productive. Oh well, look at me, I write about Liberal Coalition bloggers because they give me something to write about!

• Natalie Davis pays tribute to Al Stewart and says goodbye to Vince Welnick (as does Scott at ...You Are A Tree).

• Uptown Ruler at Scrutiny Hooligans has more potentially bad news for sushi lovers; it seems tuna stocks are being depleted. I'm still unsure why the Japanese aren't opening more hatcheries.

• Just a reminder that Trish the Countess and her Count are still in financial straits, if you can spare any money for them.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention how wonderful it is whenever Wanda checks in.

0 comments: