Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, June 30, 2006

Dem's Good Reads - 30 June 2006

Equilibrium still not achieved. But we move on:

Heidi MacDonald does it again, with a post about reaction to the NAN Grant announcement from the POV of "old geezer (or crone, to use the proper teminology) of the gender issue wars" in the comics industry. Another former DC editor, Valerie D'Orazio, is extremely encouraged by the new crop of online feminist fangirl activism; so am I, I'm constantly amazed at the energy levels of these (mostly) women! Just take a look at a typical compilation from Ragnell on When Fangirls Attack - I'm still bookmarking it in case I ever get the time to read all these amazing posts. Michael Netzer may consider me "one of the more socio-politically active bloggers in the comics periphery," but I've got nothin' on these folks. I mean, "Ask A Comics Geek" is about all I can muster nowadays. But the more the merrier - as Stephen Dann puts it, whatever we do, it's still not enough. (Or my preferred cliche, "damned if you do, damned if you don't.")

I haven't really sorted through my political blog reading all that much, but I did like David Niewert's open letter to journalists about this newfangled bloggie thingie, as well as (the decidedly apolitical) Jeopardy! phenom Ken Jennings' musings about the American Crossword Puzzle tournament and the movie Wordplay.

Right; back to Germany vs. Argentina (scoreless as I type this)...

0 comments: