Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hail Eris!

All Hail Discordia! Today is Her holy day, of course, being the 23rd day of the 5th month. Do you know there's no entry for "Hail Eris" in Wikipedia? However, there is one for the Principia Discordia. Here's the introduction to that fabled tome wherein I'm mentioned (by my "maiden" name - yes, Eris and I go back that far). Quoth Kerry, a staff writer for my old zine INSIDE JOKE back in those days, "Elayne was just some broad with a funny bone until she read the Principia and asked the question that led to my great definition of theology. 'Why,' she wanted to know, 'is the Discordian Society, which worships a female divinity, so male dominated?' Recalling that more women than men are devout about Christianity with its male God and His male Son, I decided that people like religions that blame reality on the opposite sex. So let that be a lesson to us males. Behind every great idea there is a broad with a funny bone." I can't believe Kerry's been gone six years already, I remember him fondly (and, while he was most certainly insane at times, I never found him to be anti-Semitic, at least not to this Jewgirl's face).

0 comments: