Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Go-To Gals

Betsy Devine is my go-to gal for news about phone-jamming and related scandals. Here's her latest.

Heidi MacDonald, one of the founders of Friends of Lulu, is my go-to gal for thoughtful commentary on women in the comics industry. This week, despite a touch of food poisoning, she reports on the Women in Comics symposium in Toronto (I wish I could have been there!) and offers a scathing analysis of the Taki Soma incident and its aftermath. This paragraph stood out for me:
And beyond all that, there's a higher truth, the many degradations and injustices that happen to women every day around the world just because they are women. Michael Dean has some harsh things to say about the new FoL Empowerment Fund, which seems as poorly thought out as anything else about this case. But you know, just because this case had been mishandled, doesn't mean that there aren't sexual predators in comics; doesn't mean that women don't feel intimidated and victimized; doesn't mean that we don't need to stay vigilant. I believe that Taki Soma, based on the evidence I have seen, may have been sexually assaulted but not sexually harassed, but I know that sexual harassment goes on in this industry, and there is an old boys club and it does look the other way.

Teresa Nielsen-Hayden is my go-to gal for publishing knowledge and language-related silliness. Here she lists a number of words and phrases that are known in some circles as "eggcorns" and whose misuse drives me nuts as well.

These are just a few of my favorites. Who are your favorite go-to gals (and guys)?

0 comments: