Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Koufax Semi-Finals #1 - Make Room For Reading

I think MB Williams is doing a smart thing by holding off opening up comments on the first 2005 Koufax Award semi-final voting, in the category of Best New Blog. Says Mary Beth, "How this is going to work this year, is that I'm not opening comments just yet. This being one of the categories where a majority of the nominees are probably new to most readers, I'm forcing you all to spend at least a little time getting to know the nominees. I'll open up voting after some of the other categories are up, and will update with an announcement at that time." Unfortunately, a quick perusal of the 120+ nominees reveals I know only a handful, and of those I can count the number on my sidebar with one hand. I currently have 768 Bloglines feeds, it's going to take much of tomorrow to even skim through the nominees. But I guess it's time to start beefing up my Guys in Waiting and Where the Women Bloggers Are sections anyway, and I consider this an important category because I think new voices are the lifeblood of citizen activism, and as good as they are and as limited as my time is, I still don't want to grow complacent by only seeking out opinions from blogs I already read.

0 comments: