Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Just So You Know...

I'm still shaky. But I feel somewhat vindicated. There was nothing I or anyone could have done to escape the freak winds this morning. According to this NY Times article, "the peak came around 7:30 a.m., according to the National Weather Service, which reported gusts reaching 68 miles per hour in the Bronx..." That's pretty much exactly when the branch tore off the tree and slammed down-and-sideways into my car. I've no doubt that was a 60+ mph gust; that's almost a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing around here. The severe wind advisory remains in effect for another couple hours, and things should calm down tomorrow morning enough for me to do my first 7 AM traipsing through the downed trees on my way to the bus-to-Metro North. The good news, besides nobody being hurt and the damage not appearing to affect the car's overall functioning (making it eminently driveable once the roof and back window are repaired), is that I'm probably only out about $50 for my next week or so of public transit commuting, and the weather should stay mild enough that I won't have to worry about walking on snow and ice. Oh, and I get to read again, so I may finally catch up on my Entertainment Weeklys once more...

0 comments: