Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Accentuate-the-Positive Challenge

This meme (and yes, as far as I'm concerned it's an actual meme this time) has been proposed by Mary Beth Williams, and I think it's a good one:

While I agree with the legions of my fellow lefty bloggers who argue that our leaders need to grow spines and point out the obvious, e.g., that the Abramoff scandal is all about the GOP, that Bush has become a full-fledged tyrant, etc., ad nauseum, I believe there is also a dangerous downside to going negative 24/7. The American public needs to know that Democrats are more than just "anti-Republicans".

So my challenge is for every blogger to include a post, everyday, on some positive aspect of either a Democratic or other liberal/Progressive party's policies and/or membership, whether it's on a national, state or local level. Give people a reason to vote FOR someone, not just a reason to vote against someone else.

I'm not sure I'm up to an every-day post aside from my Silly Sites (which I hope are positive in nature as laughter is often the best medicine in hard times), but I'll try to do this occasionally. My choice today is to sing the praises of former senator Bill Bradley, whose office was instrumental in cutting through tons of red tape to bring members of my extended family out of Romania and into the US during the Ceau?escu years. Unfortunately Bradley is no longer in public office, so that kind of negates the "giving people a reason to vote for someone" aspect of the meme...

0 comments: