Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Read Me A Story

I'm not big on reading blog fiction; I think it reminds me too much that I should writing more fiction of my own, which I've all but abandoned these past few years for reasons even I don't quite understand (all the more peculiar given I'm still getting requests to publish my stuff if I ever get around to doing it again). I suspect I'm also something of a genre snob. But I am big on friendship, so I wanted to pass along two items from friends:

Lee "Budgie" Barnett has written over a hundred short stories, what he calls "Fast Fictions," since last August, and he's still going strong. This is an interactive kinda thing, as he challenges his readers, "Reply with a title (maximum of four words) about which you'd like me to write a fast fiction of exactly 200 words, together with a single word you want me to include in the text of the tale. (Completely daft suggestions will be ignored, so no suggestions of 'antidisestablishmentarianism' along with a title of 'sex lives of cornflakes.') I'll try to do one a day, but no promises." An interesting experiment!

And as mentioned in the comments section of yesterday's photoblog entry, Cliff Meth would like folks to read Cunin's Big Breakfast by Lawrence Heath. Rabainu TamTam's blog Havdalah is fairly new but seems to promise many such entries, carrying on in the grand storytelling tradition of Sholom-Aleichem.

0 comments: