Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, August 27, 2005

A New York Summer Pictorial

If I took pictures more often I'd probably get a Flickr account, but until then I'll make do with Blogger's photo posting capabilities. Most of the touristy ones were taken on a city bus, which I've usually found is the best way to get nice shots.

Robin, who's working all weekend, walked me down the stairs, and the first thing we did before I left was finally affix all the Ring of Fire fish to the back of my car.


Don't know if you can see read the Ralph Spoilsport license plate frame, the top part reads "Head in any direction on the freeway of your choice!" What can I say, it's a Firesign thing...


The fountain outside Lincoln Center, where I had to go to exchange opera tickets for my boss and his wife. They were setting up for some sort of outdoor do, there were lots of plastic chairs on the other side of this bandstand thingie, but I didn't stick around to find out any more. Places to go, things to do, farmer's markets to visit...


This one's for Julia, I know how much she simply adores the Trump globe.


The statue at Columbus Circle, with the gold statue thingie that I also like in the background where Central Park begins. I loved the dramatic sky too.


The famous Caroline's comedy club.


Blurry people buying blurry half-price tickets for blurry, bloody Broadway.


The Dove ad that's been discussed to death on the blogosphere is high up enough among the skyscrapers that it would be difficult to graffiti.


Best shot I could get of Times Square from the bus.


This ad on the subway struck me as odd. It's for Sean John clothing, and when I first skimmed it I read it as "Ghetto It," because the "to" doesn't have an initial cap, and I thought "well, considering Diddy is a non-white person and all that isn't it just a tad offensive? Although whites have been appropriating "ghetto culture" for decades now...


A view of the Harlem River from the 225th Street subway platform, where I exit the train to catch the bus that takes me home.


Lastly, looking out the rather filthy windows of said local bus, passing a local church carnival, because it just wouldn't be a summer Saturday in the si-- er, city without a bouncy castle.

0 comments: