Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Out with the Old

For the first time in at least a week, I was able to drive to work today with the windows and sun roof open, and the resultant breeze actually felt cool and refreshing. Most local weather reports say the oppressive heat and humidity should break by tonight or tomorrow; it'll be nice to give the air conditioners a rest.

Last night I rifled through the last three issues of Previews, which wasn't easy as about 85% of the comics offered therein give off a distinct vibe of "go away, female! we're not interested in your money!", and many of the ones that don't feature in-your-face distorted boobies talk about "product" rather than "story," which is also an immediate turnoff. While I can appreciate writers' and artists' desire to Make Money Fast by trying to sell high concepts to Hollywood while the comic-to-film irons are still hot, I'd still rather read a story than a concept.

I am also preparing to throw away about a year's worth of political magazines and local newspapers. I haven't been able to make enough leisure time to read it all since we moved to our current apartment and my commute went from public to private transit and blog reading took up so many of my spare hours. This hasn't been an easy decision, I'm rather hard-wired never to throw away unread material to which I've subscribed, but it finally piled up to the point where I decided to stop kidding myself, at least until I get a job in Manhattan again. So unless anyone out there wants any recent issues of The Progressive, In These Times, Funny Times or Ode, not to mention around eight months' worth of the weekly Riverdale Press, they're going in the recyclables bin tomorrow. The only unread magazine I would have regretted tossing is CBG, and Steve's taking those.

My comics reading is down to one box, and I'm hoping to get it down to about a half a box before turning back to my own fiction writing, but we'll see. At least I've cleared the cobwebs, and that's a start!

0 comments: