Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day 2005

In my more genteel moods, and remembering I was married to a Navy man for 10 years, I echo the sentiments of Amanda Marcotte, who has a nice collection of Memorial Day posts: "Let's take a moment today to honor those who have lost their lives or their loved ones and remind ourselves why we must work towards a world that never asks for this sacrifice again." In my less forgiving moods I admit I lean more towards the sentiments of Bob Goodsell: "if people would remember that they died in vain, it would be the only way to make it so they didn't. But if we continue to support the lie that they died to protect our country or 'freedom,' we guarantee that many, many more will die in vain. Remember THIS on Memorial Day: War sucks, and those who start wars are the worst criminals in the world."

0 comments: