Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Obligatory Canadian Comics Content

Yeah, this is a comics blog too, honest. Only there are a couple boxes' worth of comics sitting unread in the bedroom; we weren't invited to or even informed of the Sin City NYC premiere or the Eisner memorial, both of which many of our industry friends attended; Robin's "between jobs" at the moment (DC and Marvel editors needing pencillers and inkers, take note!); I don't know when I'll ever get my contrast/comparison review of "Dorothy Gale: Journey to Oz" versus "Lions, Tigers and Bears" posted; and perhaps it's best not to ask me how the script for Megillat Vashti is going. I really need a new job (potential employers, take note!) that doesn't drain the soul out of me, maybe in Manhattan again so I can get more reading done on public transit and have something of a comics social life again.

Anyway, the world goes on without me, and I wanted to pass along two comic-related stories in the news of late: the US Army is looking for folks to help them produce psy-ops propaganda comics in Iraq "for youth to learn lessons, develop role models and improve their education." I guess part of the propaganda is internalized, as unlike Japan and Europe we're still equating "comics" with "youth." And remember the Pope comic? Well, another one is now being done in Colombia, only this one envisions His Late Holiness "as a superhero battling evil with an anti-Devil cape and special chastity pants." And apparently osteoporosis as well, judging by the cover art. So you see, Americans aren't the only ones equating "comics" with "superheroes only" (even Sin City can't seem to shake that)...

0 comments: