Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, April 14, 2005

I Come To Bury the Meme, Not Praise It

Just so you know, there's another "meme" chain-bloggie floating about now, called Caesar's Bath for some reason. The essence of this one is, "List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over." Just as with the DBM (Dreaded Book Meme), there are certain assumptions at work here that bother me. The DBM assumes that all of us naturally read books. The Caesar's Bath meme assumes that all of us have a circle of friends or a peer group. For the last year at least, when my company's office moved out of Manhattan, I have had no real social life, thus no actual circle of friends other than Robin and my bloggie buddies. I don't have a clue as to what the bloggie buddies are wild about, and I'm not going to think of things that enthuse Robin but not me 'cause that's almost like a Cosmo "what drives you mad about your husband?" quiz or something. So, at the risk of sounding redundant, please don't send me this chain-bloggie either. Please don't send me any chain-bloggies, it's not like I'm at a loss for subjects about which to write (just the time to devote to it).

0 comments: