Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Holding Out for a SHero

Well, although I got in touch with Susan Mernit after all (note to self: read the subheader next time to find a person's e-mail address!) about tonight's Reuters panel about blogging and journalism, and she said "come on by" and all that, and it's a gorgeous day and I'm not going to work tomorrow, I think I'm going to give it a pass after all. Sheer laziness, I suspect. Also a morning doctor's appointment. But be that as it may, via an e-mail from Liza Sabater I just found out about another event that strikes my fancy a bit more than "are bloggers journalists" (which always struck me as a dumb question anyway, as the simple answer is that bloggers are writers who use a certain program for their one-to-many writing - some are journalists and some aren't). My 20th century sensibilities prevent me from retyping a couple of the "t" words involved in the event's title (yes! I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy!), but it's part of the Blog Sheroes Meet-Up series, and it sounds a lot like a preview what Lisa Stone and Elisa Camahort have envisaged for BlogHerCon over on the left coast. The only down-side is that it takes place on April 25, the night of the second Seder, so observant Jewish bloggers won't be able to attend. But other than that, the location is great (on "my" subway line and right near Monster!) and the company so far includes such luminaries as Lindsay Beyerstein and Barbara O'Brien (whom I've been wanting to meet for ages). No word on whether men are allowed, but it's a bar so I guess they can congregate elsewhere in the area. At this point I hope to be there with my infamous "invisible women blogger" nametags in hand...

0 comments: