Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Estrogen Month - Day 27

This is my third attempt at this post. The first time it got eaten by an interruption that the remote computer access program I'm using to do data entry job stuff had kicked me out for inactivity. The second time Firefox just closed, I have no idea why. Apologies the women bloggers whose fine posts I'd noted then marked read. On the other hand, everything happens for a reason; read on.

It's Sunday, which means the highest vote-getters based on your comments get added to my regular reading. Congratulations to the three newest additions to my blogroll:

Jane Hamsher of Firedoglake

Kui Kihoro of Mama Junkyard's

Professor B. of Bitch. Ph.D.

I don't have the emotional strength to type up for a third time all the reasons I've come to love these blogs; suffice it to say, please check them out, they're well worth your time. I note that voting for Jane came on very strong just in this last hour, and I actually saw those votes after I'd put up the initial third-time's-the-charm version of this post, so it's much less of a problem going back and amending it to welcome Jane as well!

Please check out these other good posts about women's inclusion in various media venues:

Echidne looks at women and religion on TV, as well as the FAIR study on female pundits.

Jessica Crispin at Bookslut analyzes "the problem with women writers."

The rest of the female-pundit posts on Political Animal this week include:
- Amy Sullivan on the dearth of female political consultants for the Democrats
- Garance Franke-Ruta on how UK papers seem a bit better than US ones in terms of parity
- Katha Pollitt returns to the subject of female bloggers
- So does Amy
- Garance has another look at the unspoken quota
- Katha responds to Amy and names names
- And finally, Garance delivers a real zinger of a post about how Democrats are all but abandoning their female base by not touting more female op-ed voices

Also getting her two cents in because she doesn't have a comment section is Chris Nolan, here and here.

I had a few others, but as I said my posting problems ate them, so my apologies. Here's what Estrogen/Women in Blogging Month is all about; only four days left to celebrate before I collapse in even more exhaustion...

0 comments: