Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Estrogen Month - Day 24

Here's what we're doing this month. As for the why, you need only ask yourself how many times you've heard "where are all the women bloggers?" (I'd do that Google-bombing that Veronica Nichols wants to spread around but she didn't include any Estrogen Month posts as one of the links so the heck with it, you can do it or not as you see fit. I'm not a publicity hound but after doing this for 24 straight days it would be nice to have at least one of the EM posts included in her Google-bomb...)

Today, in honor of my mother's birthday, I'm giving a shout-out to a few of my favorite Jewish women bloggers, as well as some of my favorite Mom bloggers. If I inadvertently omit you, please forgive me as I'm pretty hurried here today, and feel free to give yourself a shout-out in the comments section! Moms first:

Milkbreath and Me - Rachel Hartman created one of my favorite characters, Amy Unbounded, for whom I named my youngest cat. So in a way, this is a Mom-to-"Mom" thing. Her journals of her adventures with young Byron are a delight.

No Strings Attached - Kath David is the multitalented wife of Peter David, stepmother to the lovely Shana and Gwen! and Ariel, and mom to the delightful Caroline. Her photo albums are terrific, and her insights into life, motherhood, puppet- and costume-making and the world around her are wonderful. I especially love how she ends each post by stating something for which she's thankful.

Kalilily Time - Crone extraordinaire Elaine Frankonis is mother (or, as she says, "cybermom") to The One True b!X and daughter of/caregiver to her own aging mom. Her posts are lyrical and inspiring.

Two of my favorite local moms are Barbara O'Brien from Mahablog and Julia from Sisyphus Shrugged, but you probably know all about them from their political blogging. And two non-local moms I admire a great deal are Mary Beth Williams from Wampum and Jeanne d'Orleans at Body and Soul.

Now for some of my favorite Jewish women:

Hanan Levin at Grow-A-Brain is a treasure; why she's not as popular as BoingBoing is beyond me.

Honorary Jew Kathleen Pearlman writes (not often enough!) about "life in NJ and elsewhere."

Lis Riba is crazy about Shakespeare, her husband, life in Boston, liberal politics, Harry Potter fanfic and lots of other things. Riba Rambles is always a well-rounded blog!

One of my favorite Gals in Waiting is Rachel Barenblat, the Velveteen Rabbi. As you might suspect this blog is very Jewish, but it's also wonderful and chatty and full of musings and travelogues and all that good stuff. As Rachel says, it's "a passionate, idiosyncratic, unOrthodox look at contemporary Judaism."

Oyh, I know there are more, lots more, but work is really closing in on me. Please continue to vote for your favorite Gals in Waiting in the comments section below - see you tomorrow!

0 comments: