Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Blizzard of Aught-Five

Well, they're saying it's still snowing in NYC, but from our front window it just looks as if it's blowing all the snow about; some of the roofs nearby are almost cleared. Naturally I took some pictures. Here's the general view from our front window (the part without the screen):

Here's one I took through the window and the screen (I wasn't about to open the window), looking straight down on my car and our downstairs neighbors' cars:

Pretty well covered up, as you can see. One amusing observation is that the tree right in front of us still has a tenacious branch of dead leaves, and if even this blizzard isn't loosening them I figure they won't fall off until new ones push them out this spring:

Between the drifts and the cold it's pretty dangerous out there, and there's no way I'm going out to clear the car today, so it looks like I may have to stay home from work tomorrow. Not that I'm complaining, mind you!

Update: Well, we went out and shoveled anyway, as I felt like the car was kind of boxed in. It was remarkably easy to get the snow off the car, and the downstairs neighbors' son took care of most of the big triangular area behind it (as he needed to get his car out as well), and now it looks like this (the empty spot behind the left-hand car is where his vehicle was):

That's Kingfisher (my Hyundai) in the middle; the sun actually started melting the remaining snow as I was brushing it off, so it looks like things will be clear enough tomorrow morning for me to just warm it up and take off for work! Yay! I mean, um...

0 comments: