Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Eight Days Late, But Worth the Wait

Tonight was our Thanksgiving/winter/birthdays/anniversary celebratory feast. We don't have a dining room table any more, as the little dinette area houses Robin's studio instead, but my parents had an extra aluminium/hardboard table they gave us, so I was able to "set" that:

Out in front we have the gravy, right in between the turkey breast and the cranberry sauce/mandarin orange combo; behind that there's butternet squash soup (from a carton but it was great!) with minced celery leaves and cilantro sprinkled on it, and the green beans with French's Onion crunchies atop 'em, which looked aesthetically nice but didn't help tastewise as the beans were a bit tough and stringy (but I didn't expect them to be a success anyway so it's okay); third row is the combo of mashed potatoes and yellow turnips (McKenzie's Southland frozen microwaveable, a godsend) on the left, and my 'shroom stuffing on the right; in the back are egg nog, cranberry cider and pumpkin pie.

Here's what the meat and veg looked like on my plate:

I was surprised that the mashed stuff came out so relatively light, I was expecting more colour, but we probably had a few more potatoes than turnips in there. But, except for the beans, it was all good, despite my earlier mishaps.

The cats are still prowling around the living room looking for more handouts:

If finicky Amy liked it, it must have been okay. I dread the cleanup tomorrow.

0 comments: