Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Photoblogging the Con

Today was the first chance I had to accompany Robin to the National, but I misread the express bus schedule and we waited a bit for the bus to come. Not a problem, though. It's still lovely around our area, with many trees hanging valiantly onto their foliage:

This is the house on our corner.

And this tree is a few houses up along our block.

When we arrived at the Penn Pavilion, we were relieved to see so many Homeland Security troops hard at work protecting the area around Madison Square Garden:

It was a good day to catch up with friends; I chatted with fellow bloggers Glenn and Heidi and Dave (sharing a table with Raina and John) and neighbors Keith (whose blog URL I finally have!) and Alex; and saw Jamal and Rodney and Steve S and Rachel and Scott (who it turns out is also a Firesign fan and gave me a surprise sketch to pass on to Phil) and Adam and Allison and met inker Mark Morales for the first time (what a great guy!) and greeted a whole bunch of Yahoo comicart group listers and spotted lots of other folks but at this point I'm blanking a bit, sorry. These things do go rather quickly sometimes. And then there were the luminaries I just don't tend to see at these things any more, like Walt Simonson, chatting here with Danny Fingeroth while Ken Gale listens in (that's Mark Bodé in the foreground):


I took some of Robin's sketch money and bought a pressie for Leah from Ramona Fradon, sitting across the aisle from us, right by Tom Palmer and Howard Chaykin. Then up strolled Mike Netzer - shorn!:

Yep, no more beard and long hair. Michael has embarked on a journey to completely mesh comic books (actually, comic creators) and politics by founding the Comic Book Creators Party, and since those happen to be two of my much-discussed topics here on this blog naturally I'm interested (and thank you for the nice plug on the index page, Mike!). He's selling some original art to help finance the Party's creation and solidify its platform. But first, he's flying back to Israel in two days' time to be with his family once more, so I asked if he could do me a "goodbye/see you later" sketch, and he did! It's a lovely Batman drawing, and if he says it's okay I'll share it with y'all at another time.

But Michael's not the only one leaving New York. Very shortly Joe Rubinstein will be taking off as well for the Left Coast. So I was able to talk him into a "see you later" sketch too; here he is next to Robin, working on my sketch as Robin inks his contribution to tomorrow's ACTOR auction:

Aaah, the glare! As if that weren't enough, Joe got to talking with Walt and then I spotted John Ostrander whom I hadn't seen in ages and it was like this weird Old Home Week to which Robin and I were inexplicably a party to due to our proximity and Rob's there going "but see, Michael and Joe worked on this issue of Challengers of the Unknown and Bernie inked one panel of it and it's my favorite comics panel ever and that issue was such an influence on me" and I'm going "geez, shut up, you're inking Alan Davis blueline pencils, get some perspective."

So he did, and drew a sketch for the Man with the Bullseye Leg Tattoo:

Yes, the Man with the Bullseye Leg Tattoo. Next up: Arthur Frampton, the Man with Three Buttocks.

Michael came by again to pick up his brolly then changed his mind (not much call for umbrellas in the Negev) and gave it to me, for which I was very grateful as we arrived home in the pouring rain. We'll be back again tomorrow, God help us. I doubt we'll be able to get into the Frank Miller/Neal Adams interview but I'm sure someone or other will tape it...

0 comments: