Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It's Morning in America


The street off which I live, taken on my way back home from voting.

It was extraordinary. I've been voting since 1976, even in relatively dinky elections like primaries and off-year stuff where nobody much seems to care. And I've never, ever seen a polling place this abuzz. Absolutely electric! Even at 7:15 AM or so there was a bit of a queue to get in, mostly because only one of the double doors into the school gymnasium was propped open. Once I got to the section where my Election District was there was only one person ahead of me, but there were dozens of folks all around in the queues for the other EDs! I was thinking about taking a picture for posterity but then reasoned that it would probably freak a lot of folks out (not to mention I have no idea of the legalities) so I refrained. But the snapshot in my memory will last for a long time. I actually teared up. It was so amazingly great seeing everyone being so passionate about exercising their franchise! So anyway, there's one more lever pulled for Kerry, and I can now head off to my job and concentrate on whatever work my boss throws at me and try not to think about anything else until this evening (which won't be easy as I'll have my eye on the other blogs as time permits). Folks, if you haven't voted yet and you're eligible, please get out there!!

0 comments: