Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, October 08, 2004

Troubled in Bambiland

Austrian novelist and playwright Elfriede Jelinek, upon learning that she'd won the Nobel Prize for literature yesterday, said she felt "more despair than peace" at the news, and will not travel to Stockholm to retrieve her award due to social phobia. I'd probably have social phobia too if a large percentage of my fellow citizens shunned me because of my vehement opposition to radical right-wingers coming to power in my governme-- oh no, wait... Anyway, it's a shame when one's talent makes one an unwilling celebrity, but such is the risk that top writers take. Better the prize should have gone to Bob Dylan (via Tristero)? Meanwhile, "Where go the Peace Prize? / Only in Kenya," to activist and environmentalist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to be so honored. (Apparently both of these awards have somewhat stunned the male blogosphere...)

0 comments: