Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, August 20, 2004

On Speaking Too Soon

So much for bloggy plans. I just spent a hellacious 6+ hours mostly tied to the phone trying all sorts of machinations to get reasonably-priced tickets for a one-way international flight with only a 2-day window (meaning none of the discount sites could get me tickets so I had to go directly to the airlines which wouldn't allow me to purchase by phone, etc. etc.) and unable to do much else, even eat. So naturally an errand for my boss' wife fell through the cracks because I couldn't leave my desk to perform it and I didn't send an e-mail at the time to cover my patootie and so she came into the office and yelled at me. Which I didn't need considering the hoops through which I'd been jumping and so my response to her was all wrong and disproportionate because I was so tired and aggravated and I need to learn how to take deep breaths from now on because I know that however hard I work there is always a strong chance, at any given moment, that I will suddenly find myself in this sort of situation where I will lose my temper and then possibly my job. Which in a better economy wouldn't be a bad thing, but we don't have one of those at the moment. Sorry for babbling. God I'm hungry. Maybe someday my coworkers will ask me if I want anything when they all order lunch (on which there's a $10+ minimum for delivery).

0 comments: