Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, July 03, 2004

LC Blogaround

I'm home for the next three days while Robin finishes up BLOODHOUND #3 (it feels weird not to be driving about, but this is one of those holiday weekends where I prefer not to be on the roads anyway), so it's probably a good time to catch up on blog reading. Yes, I've fallen behind again, but that's to be expected considering the 350+ blogs to which I subscribe. :) As I start this entry I've just refreshed my Bloglines feed (and bear in mind the feed only works for RSS-enabled blogs, which are the only ones I get a chance to read any more) and, as of this moment, I need to catch up on 494 posts from the News+Views Gals, 746 posts from the News+Views Guys, and 418 posts from fellow members of the Liberal Coalition. So let's go to the latter and see what they're talking about:

  • Over at SoonerThought, Alex Greenwood has just celebrated his first blogiversary! Woo-hoo, way to go Alex, Jake, Greg et al! Alex also mentions the latest curmudgeonly tirade of Bill Cosby; did you know when Cosby was younger he had to walk 5 miles uphill to school - both ways? Hey, you kids, get off his lawn!
  • Amy at blogamy has a gorgeous picture of the almost-full orange moon from Thursday; much better than the pitiful ones we tried to take with my dinky digital camera!
  • Andante implicitly contrasts John Kerry's old divorce with Jack Ryan's newer one.
  • Bryant Gries passes along Independence Day greetings from Molly Ivins.
  • Charles2 notes, "The situation in Iraq almost seems like something out of a very bad A-Team episode," and I'd completely forgotten there was an A-Team chick, so I thank him for that nostalgic picture.
  • Chris Brown talks way too much about Green Lantern. I mean hey, I was one of the people who expressed outrage and condolences to Mart Nodell after the ComicFest '93 panel when DC originally announced their planned screwing around with Hal Jordan, and even I can't get into this essay. :)
  • Clonecone names his dream Kerry cabinet.
  • Over at Corrente, Lambert tempts us with cheese and wonders who died and made George Bush God?
  • Echidne poses a question about reincarnation. If I could come back to life after death, I would choose to be... someone who remembers what I've been through in this life so I can still seek out my soulmate and, with luck, know enough to avoid the mistakes I've made thus far in favor of-- a whole new set of mistakes! Either that or a dolphin. Echidne's also using SiteMeter banner ads as mantras; I thought that kind of thing can rot your brain. And speaking of brain rot, Echidne found the Beeb's video of Colin Powell's Village People number!
  • Scout at And Then... takes a look at rigged Coke cans. Glad I'm not a cola person!
  • Guy Andrew Hall at Rook's Rant agrees that blogs are driving mainstream conversation. I'm not sure seeing something on the blogosphere and then seeing it in the mainstream press means that blogs are taking any sort of general lead as much as that the mainstream press is, as it has been for awhile, behind the curve of what real people are talking about.
  • HL Victoria, the New World Blogger, laments her lack of free time to blog - tell me about it! - but comes back to pass along the story of the Buddhist jailed for three months for unknowingly videotaping an FBI building.
  • Jeff at Speedkill wonders how a Montanan rancher can possibly fall of a horse if he ain't drunk. Good chance he was, since this particular guy, a Republican Congresscritter, was also the idiot doing the Coneheads routine mocking traditional Kazakstani dress at an official delegation party! Get this: "Rehberg denies the allegations of drunkeness and said he never mocked the Kazakh people. He also said he's never watched an entire episode of Saturday Night Live, and isn't familiar with the television show's skits." Oh come on, not familiar with the Coneheads? Hasn't that kinda stuff pretty much seeped into the common pop-culture vernacular by now? Or is he disassociating himself from Beldar and family because... they're from France?
  • Jesse from the Gotham City 13 helpfully passes along some FBI tips for this holiday weekend.
  • Jude Campbell at Iddybud has written a lovely poem in tribute to Patrick McCaffney.
  • John McKay at archy compares Thomas Jefferson with John Ashcroft. Let the eagle soar!
  • Keith Kisser at the Invisible Library presents the Amazing Adventures of Politician Man! I love Mexican superhero culture, and agree with Keith that comics are very effective at selling political ideas. I'd love to get a hold of this book; guess I'll have to ask Jesus Antonio...
  • Maru Soze misses the orange kitten and her DSL. But before she took off she gave us some cool visuals like an altered billboard in Sacramento, and some intriguing gossip about Bremer's supposed girlfriend in Iraq.
  • Michael at Musing's Musings thinks the Bush folks are acting like crybabies, but I think it's not over until we take our ball and go home. He also discusses the ins and outs of heresy, which is kinda over my head.
  • Mike Stabile at Left is Right spreads the word about Red Shirt Fridays. Hey, I'm in as long as I don't have to sign up with the crew of the Enterprise...
  • Over at Bloggg, Moi! has more cute kittens (hey, never too many for me!) and has had enough of Home Depot.
  • Mustang Bobby at Bark Bark Woof Woof spent Canada Day in Stratford, Ontario - cool!
  • Natalie Davis warns us about the impending nomination of anti-choice fanatic J. Leon Holmes to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas. Wish the Clintons could do something about this...
  • Norbizness at Happy Furry Puppy Story Time sends greetings from Tiki Island, Texas.
  • N. Todd Pritsky over at Dohiyi Mir promises to ride his bike more through the picturesque Vermont countryside; wouldn't you?
  • Peter at Kick the Leftist looks into the depleted Iraq fund and exposes more GOP dirty tricks.
  • Rick's Cafe Americain reports on the finals of the Funniest Jewish Amateur Comic contest. So nu, where was my invitation? What am I, chopped liver? Gevalt, I miss those Borscht Belt days...
  • Rivka at Respectful of Otters listens to her friend Jennie analyze the recent Canadian elections.
  • Scott at The Gamer's Nook gets way too into a piece on Cheney's lies and delusions. I've been going around the house lately imitating the Burgess Meredith Penguin and trying not to move my lips as I say "weh weh weh, go fuck yerself Batman, weh weh weh..." Sorry, too much information? And look for another Silly Site swipe from Scott tomorrow!
  • Steve Bates quips that "'Freedom Over Texas' is a choice I'd make any day of the week..."
  • Steve Gilliard examines in detail the last century's history of the military draft in this country.
  • Trish Wilson's cat Lucky sure likes that cat tree. Meanwhile, Trish examines fathers' rights wingnut Stephen Baskerville.
  • Lastly, at Rubber Hose, upyernoz keeps on playing those word games and looks at three recent Supreme Court decisions.
    Whew! Okay, my unread Gals list is now at 534 posts and the Guys list stands at 785, but at least the LC roll is done!
  • 0 comments: