Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Happy Free Comic Book Day!

Click the FCBD icon at the sidebar to find out more information about where you can get free comics today. In celebration, besides wishing Joey Manley a happy birthday, I'm posting a few pictures from last Thursday's benefit for Dave Cockrum at MoCCA. I just found out my posting limit on Buzznet is 10 pictures per day, so while Robin's busy uploading the whole file on iPhoto here are a few teasers:


Joe Rubinstein and his portrait of Dave


The event was co-hosted by Cliff Meth and Neal Adams, shown here signing tribute books and chatting



A couple of shots of the gallery

Okay, the entire folder of pictures has now been uploaded here as a slideshow. And here's my write-up from the Comicart mailing list:
Robin and I had a great time! We mostly hung out with listers Joe Rubinstein (whose portrait of Dave left me breathless!) and Mike Pascale & wife (brain not working, forgot her name, please forgive me Pascales!), but I also met Cliff Meth and Heritage's John Petty for the first time which was cool; alas, Cliff didn't have a chance to introduce me to Neal Adams, whom I've met but only in loud convention-type settings. Also saw Lawrence Klein (who mentioned that MoCCA had just received a very large grant from the city; great news!), Ken Gale, Jim Salicrup, Joey Cavalieri, and other friends whose names I'm blanking on because we stayed up late to watch the rest of the Yankees game after we got home. Probably the highlight of my evening was meeting Mike Netzer's daughter, who assured us that her dad's fine and back in Israel and hasn't had the time yet to update either his website or his Yahoo group. She liked my writing on the Yahoo group, and is also pulling for me to finally finish the Bible story script that her dad wants to draw and that Cliff wants to publish. Someday it will crawl its way out of my head.
Thanks again to MoCCA for another fabulous gallery showing, and to Robin for using this as an excuse to test out iPhoto!

0 comments: