Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

The Superstition Connection

JuliusBlog has collected a number of pictures featuring Geoge W. Bush rubbing bald pates. I was relieved to see it wasn't just black guys' heads (as I've mentioned in the past, that carries some nasty racist connotations), but I'm surprised that nobody seems to have applied Occam's Razor here - to me, the simplest explanation for the head-rubbing is that it may be a baseball-related superstition. I just saw some head-rubbing very recently, in a shot of the Yankee dugout during a game last week. This makes a heck of a lot of sense to me, since I think religious fanatics tend toward that kind of thinking in the first place, which is probably why some Christians note, "The Bible warns against trusting unknown forces that work behind the scenes. Those who trust in Christ must reject the idea of luck or chance. God is all-knowing and sovereign over the events of our lives, and He wants us to trust Him alone." I guess they want to corner the market on superstition...

[Still way, way behind in blogroll reading, by the way. And still behind in work stuff too, so I don't expect to catch up much before the coming weekend. Congrats to Julia, who I hear was on Air America last night...]

0 comments: