Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, May 08, 2004

My Afternoon Commute

Last Wednesday I listed some NY landmarks I pass on the express bus route on the way to my office. I'd mentioned that my return trip wasn't as picturesque, but it's not too bad in its own way. I see a few of the same landmarks on the way back:
  • Central Park , both CP South (where the hansom cabs hang out, and there are fancy hotels like the Essex House) and much of CP West, in addition to the 81st/79th transverse road
  • Columbus Circle
  • Lincoln Center, home of the Metropolitan Opera and the NYC Ballet
  • The Dakota
  • The Museum of Natural History
  • Marcus Garvey Park
  • Yankee Stadium
    And there are other cool sights, like:
  • Bryant Park
  • A sculpture from Robert Indiana's famous LOVE series at 55th and Sixth (picture here)
  • The Squadron A Armory ruins
  • Some attractive religious buildings, like the Park Avenue Synagogue at Madison and 87th and a couple gorgeous churches in East Harlem, Metro Community Methodist and All Saints
    Also two Yup Food Emporia, more garish Trump monstrosities than I'd care to count, and probably at least a dozen sushi places. Not a bad commute for the next couple weeks! After which, it's the south Westchester suburbs all the way in my 20-minute car commute, after my workplace moves right around here...
  • 0 comments: