Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, May 21, 2004

Boxing Day

Just as Robin's been shifting us out of boxes at home (with his most recent deadline wrapped he finally had a chance to investigate the loft space above our apartment, and we can indeed store empty comics boxes and other light stuff up there!), I find myself sitting amidst even more here at the office. My stuff is all packed, my boss' huge office is likewise done, all that remains at this point is for me to stay out of everyone else's way (I sprained something near my right elbow a few weeks ago during our home move so I can't do any substantial physical labor anyway), keep communication flowing as best I can with a cell phone (the office phone lines were dismantled yesterday morning), and wait for the movers to arrive early this afternoon with more labels so I can stick them on everything in my boss' space. Staying out of the way will be easy; the electricity in the cubicles is currently being dismantled so I'm typing this last 35th Street blog entry from my boss' machine in his office. The network, e-mail and Internet are going down in about half an hour, so I can't even browse through Bloglines until I get home. I should have brought more to read. :)

This morning was my last weekday commute into Manhattan, at least until such time (if any) as I acquire another job, and with things having shifted so dramatically from last fall until now at my current position I don't think that's likely. For one thing, I no longer relish the idea of threading my way through the sidewalk throngs; for another, I'm damn glad to be getting away from The City given what's going down here in the next few months security-wise. I've been commuting into Manhattan for over 20 years, and I have absolutely zero sentimental attachment to the idea. We still live close enough to take day-trips in during the weekends if we so desire, but that's the key - when I go into The City from now on it'll be because I want to rather than have to, and that'll make all the difference in the world.

Tomorrow morning is my last "have to," as my boss wants people around to make sure the movers are doing their job correctly while, I guess, staying out of their way so they can do their job correctly. It's all a bit confusing. Then he drives me and a few others up to the new office in his Mercedes (life is rough), then I guess I find my own way back, which will be fun because I haven't had a chance to do a dry-run commute on the Westchester bus line yet. Ah well, at least I won't be bored!

Okay, I'll be bored for the next few hours. But you know what I mean. So long from the Garment District!

0 comments: