Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Primary Task

Our local councilman was on the subway platform this morning, handing out info about him being a NYC delegate pledged to John Edwards in next Tuesday's NY State primary. So it got me to thinking, who if anyone is supporting Dennis Kucinich, my candidate of choice (after all, if you can't vote your personal preference in a primary, as opposed to compromising for the perceived greater good in a general election, what's the point of democracy?), and I decided to do a little Googling. Did you know that Kucinich's name appears first on the ballots? Did you know that among his many endorsements is the Green VP candidate from Nader's 2000 run? Not-even-semi-prominent local politicians for Kucinich include NY State Democratic Committee Leader Robert Ginsberg and former Community Board 6 member Michael Hirsch, but that seems to be about it. His non-politician endorsements are more impressive, but I guess I'm kinda bummed that like-minded New Yorkers such as Mark Green don't seem to be giving official nods (although anyone going to the Book on Bush reading tomorrow might want to raise this subject with Green, in addition to asking why he's scheduled this reading for the same night as the Greg Palast party... not that I'll be attending either as I have comics-related plans).

0 comments: